Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Be still

I love early mornings, especially as I "mature" in years. Mornings are uber quiet, and have a unique "still" quality about them. Reading, thinking, walking, praying, or enjoying a good cup of coffee, the morning is unlike all other times of the day. You can feel the stillness.

No TV blaring, kids are asleep (like most of us should be more often) no traffic moving, few people out for any reason; just the strong hushed presence of the wind and the early morning song of the birds as the first rays of light creep over the horizon. I can feel the stillness, and I can sense that God is all around me, not hidden or drowned out by other noise and activity.

Psalm 46:10 came to mind this morning:
"Be still, and know that I am God;
       I will be exalted among the nations,
       I will be exalted in the earth."

I need to know that. I need to celebrate that. I need to proclaim that.

I should be still more often.

1 comment: